Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Riding Horses




Georgia has been wanting to have a ride on a horse for a while now, so with it being Easter Holidays, and the Cafe being closed on Tuesday, we booked a lesson for her. The farm was about 15 minutes drive up into the Ohauti Hills followed by a steep drop down into a secluded valley. Now I have to admit I am not a great fan of horses. In fact I am not a great fan of any animal that I don't think I can beat in a fair fight (which pretty much means anything bigger than a chihuahua I suppose. I once gave a good showing against a ferret, but after a titan struggle those razor sharp teeth won the day). It's not that I don't like horses, it just seems that they are not to keen on me, a sly bite here a blatant head butt there and I'm spitting teeth, you get the picture.


Anyway the lesson started with catching the horse, grooming it, putting a saddle on it and then riding it. I have to admit Georgia took to it really well. I sat back in the sunshine swatting killer mosquitoes and watched. I was at one point slightly confused as to why Georgia was riding the horse backwards for a while, but it was a balance thing evidently. Georgia got to walk and trot and was steering the horse around the arena very nicely. After a trot up the farm track and back, the lesson was over. We parted with $30, and as we left the horse, called Blaze, (aren't they all?) gave me a sideways look which I took to mean "get you next time buddy". Georgia did point out that a horse's eyes are on the side of it's head, so the look was probably nothing personal, mm..........

No comments: