Monday, May 14, 2007

Going Back To England

Our good friends Norman and Linda are going back to England for a 9 week holiday. They have at last allowed themselves to be excited about the trip having had some real mixed emotions about the prospect, I will explain. Although they do love it here, their Son and Daughter both live in England and earlier this year their son had a child of his own, thus making Norman and Linda grandparents and I think that they both fear that once they lay eyes on that child, the old parental instincts will grab hold, and they will stay in England. They have made plans which mean they have to return to New Zealand, but I think you will understand their dilemma.
I am often asked the question by new English immigrants if I would go home, I reply that I always go home after work! There has been a real change in the way I feel now that I have permanent Residency in New Zealand, I am, and feel at home here. I have no desire to return to England. I am asked if I miss friends and family, and yes I do, but my closest family is here with me and to have the time to watch my daughter grow and be incredibly happy, I would trade for nothing. When the time comes for her to fly the nest, what then? If she went abroad, what would I do? let her go? follow? I can see a dilemma coming on.

No comments: