Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Tax

It is the time for filling in Tax returns. I have had the return for ages, but keep putting off filling it in, I can honestly think of better ways of spending my time. But there does come a point where Adrenalin starts to flow as the deadline for sending it off approaches and the thought of fines plays on the mind. I probably need that rush of Adrenalin to motivate me. Fortunately it has not been too much of an ordeal as the information I needed was actually at hand this time (I am usually tearing the house apart looking for vital bits of paper at this time). I have developed a system which I heartily recommend to everyone. It involves having a cardboard box at the end of the settee, and when you get something that you think you might need at some time in the future, like an official looking letter or something that you can't be bothered to read because "Lost" is about to start on the TV, you simply toss it in the box, and when you find that you do need it, there it is. Simple and effective eh!
The bad news as far as tax is concerned, is that you pay tax on every penny you earn (even your paper round is taxed). If you earn $38,000 or below you pay 19.5% above that and it goes up to 33% with a top rate of 60%. We have to pay "provisional tax" where once we calculate what we owe, we have to add 5% divide it by 3 then pay it in 3 installments, the first being 7th July then another in November and again in March. As a new business you end up paying tax twice in the year but it evens itself out when you deduct the provisional tax you payed from the tax owed for that year. All clear and understood? good.
On a different note I understand there has been a bit of rain about in the UK for a while now, well it does rain here too. Last weekend we had all of June's rainfall , the sun then came out, the temperature has been pleasant but a storm is lashing us as I type.

No comments: