Saturday, October 13, 2007

Treasure


I have said this before, I don't miss much from the UK, but it did have something to offer, as does every European country, and that is a real sense of history. I mention this now because a couple of things have rekindled my historical desires. Georgia is really keen on history, her knowledge is incredible for her age, she reads constantly and absorbs it all. She is however frustrated that there is nothing here for her to touch or look at, no magnificent Gothic cathedrals or Roman remains, no footpaths that have been trodden for millenia. Of course we knew all this before we came, having lived in Durham with its 900 year old Norman cathedral history was all around you and you become blase about it. I accepted that moving to NZ would end my love affair with historical buildings but since mixing with metal detectors and the hidden history they can uncover, an inner desire to find that history is growing within me. This of course then leads to ideas like living in France and finding Celtic gold along the trade routes of the Loire valley, do that for 4 months of the year (we have since discovered that metal detecting is illegal in France) then come back here for 8 months and so on. You will probably find if you live out here, that you will consider all sorts of schemes to fulfill all sorts of desires you have (the thing is, you don't quite know what you really desire till you get out here and have the freedom of thought to uncover those desires, if you follow me). So what I will have to do now is work out a scheme that gives us what we all want (I have one in mind), it is always so frustrating that earning a living always gets in the way of living the life that you want (if you know the life that you want that is, I get really confused sometimes). The photo I have include is Me, Georgia and Norman testing a Hi-tech detector on the beach. We found a spoon and a rusty old pair of nail clippers, oh and a large rusty nail which we have confidently dated at around 1400AD.

1 comment:

Marrisa said...

You know we have Michael's dad here at the moment and whilst walking through the Bolton Street memorial park (which looks over the city and was split by a controvesial highway) we talked about how much we craved some type of history 'to look at'.

We have been completely overwhelmed by the Maori culture and I have soaked up the history on that...but now what?!

Good post as always Michael, I love reading your blog, hope you still get time to visit ours xx