Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Clean and Green?

I love the unspoilt beauty of NZ, there is contrast every where. Where we live there is of course the beach with the off shore islands, and the hills are but 15 mins drive away. Everything that has been untouched by man has a magnetic power, it draws you and holds you, your senses are overcome by the magnificence of it all. That said of course, what man has touched is at its best unsympathetic to the beauty of the surroundings.
There has always been a practical side to builders of a European origin, a kind of "I need a building to put tractors in, I've got some corrugated iron, it might be a bit rusty, but will do the job nicely." It is just a pity that said structure is next to, and draws the eye from some natural beauty. Now to the clean and green title. Litter has been discussed in the local paper, it is a growing problem, but nothing compared to the UK. What has been of concern to us, is stinging eyes. You can be driving along and suddenly your eyes are stinging and watering, and can be so bad that you have to pull over. This phenomenon seems to coincide with the spraying of Kiwi fruit. A little investigation on the Internet and low and behold, NZ allows Kiwi fruit growers to continue to use insecticides that are banned in other parts of the world. I tried not to look too hard for the effects of these sprays as I don't think I can do a lot about it, but they look prime candidates for the stinging eyes. I think I will look on EBay for a chemical warfare suit and practise holding my breath for 2 months at a time instead.

There is a natural irritant around at the moment. It is a fine yellow dust, which is in fact pollen that blows off the pine trees that inhabit Matakana Island. It causes a lot of sneezing in our household, and makes a mess on the car, but that seems to be it.
As I am talking about stinging eyes, it reminds me. I am a great fan of Natural remedies as they really seem to work, with no side effects, so as I find useful ones I will pass my findings along. If you have an eye infection, put some "colloidal silver" into it, you get instant relief and the infection disappears in 3 days, and with that tip of the day I will leave you for another week.

No comments: