Monday, April 14, 2008

birthdays and communication


Its a strange fact that I communicate more with my brother and sister now that I live in New Zealand than I did when we lived just a few miles apart. We used to meet up for special occasions such as birthdays or sometimes a coffee in town but we just took for granted that we were there and that was it. Now that I have moved to the other side of the world I chat with my brother on an almost daily basis on the computer via Skype and exchange emails with my sister at least twice a week plus texting. I am more up to date with their lives than I ever was!
Modern communication is great but one item I have never been a big user of is the humble telephone. I don't know why. I much prefer texting, and emailing and talking face to face than using the phone. So as a surprise I thought I would give my sister, Shirley, a call on her 50th birthday at her work. And she was surprised! We chatted about a few things as sisters do and the conversation got round to TV and how useless it is in New Zealand with all the commercials. Shirley asked if we paid a TV licence here. No we don't. I had forgotten about that lovely bill that used to arrive each year, how you were terrified not to pay it as the man in the detector van would know if you hadn't paid and he could knock on the door in the middle of Eastenders with a fine of 2000 pounds. The TV licence is now 130 pounds! So I am now quite happy to use the VCR and fast forward the commercials!

We also discussed age, as you do on your birthday once you get past 21. She recons her 40's went by faster than her 30's so does that mean she will be 60 before she knows it. What a thought - life speeding up as you get older. Some people are obsessed with how old they are, which is crazy because there's not a lot you can do about the passing of time. I must admit though I keep forgetting how old I am. Is that a good sign or just a sign that I'm losing my memory? Keeping fit and healthy and happy is the best cure for the onset of old age plus believing that you are still only 25.

Anyway, Happy Birthday Shirley.

No comments: